Llangattock Dig, 100 acres of Pasture 12th May

Posted by
|

Surrounded by three castles, this dig will hopefully be well supported!

Llantilio Castle, Newcastle and Castle Arnold all in close proximity to Llangattock so this could be an area of interest to many. Only 7 miles from Abergavenny, home of a first Century Roman fort. As with all new, undetected land, what we could find here is anybody’s guess!

The name refers to the church of St Cadog, Catwg being a variant form for the same holy man who was a grandson of Brychan, the eponymous founder of Brechieniog. The name appears first as llangadawc in about 1180 and as Llancadok in 1291. Over a century later in 1412 a document referred to Llangattok.

Little can be ascertained of the settlement history of Llangattock, but some speculation may be admissible. The church is undoubtedly an early medieval foundation – its dedication, curvilinear churchyard and location all suggest this. However, there is further evidence to suggest that this was the mother church in the region and thus the most important. The parish of Crickhowell appears to have been carved from the territory of Llangattock, and Llangenny is said to have been a dependant chapelry, added to which was the high annual value of £20 at the time of the 1291 taxation.
As to whether settlement grew up around the church in pre-Conquest times is open to debate, but the small settlement that is visible on early 19th century maps between the church and the bridge over the Onneu could well have had its origin in the Middle Ages. On the opposite side of the stream further housing grew up along the road back into Crickhowell. This shows on the same 19th-century maps and it may be an entirely post-medieval phenomenon, but the 1587 Badminton Manorial atlas which depicts the presumably medieval park of Killelan (now Llangattock Park) and whose entire western boundary ran with the road has at least six dwellings beside it. There will have been other dwellings on the west side of the road, so it is evident that the settlement was spreading by the later 16th century and probably before this time. As a final point, it is surely the proximity of Crickhowell which will have encouraged this growth.
Plas Llangatwg, opposite the church and on the other side of Nant Onneu, has an early 18th- century front, but features from an earlier, Tudor house are said to survive within the fabric. It was remodelled late in the 18th century. The layout of its gardens has caused the diversion of the road around its edge, and this is something that appears to have occurred since the Ordnance Surveyors were at work in 1813. Further south Glanonney which is largely of early to mid-19th-century date, has a wing, now much altered, that was constructed in the 17th or 18th century.

 

Please register below if you would like to attend this event.

Llangattock Event

Description:

Registration opens at 16-03-2018 12:28

Registration closes at 11-05-2018 12:28

Max Participants: 150

Please login (or create an account) to sign up for this event.

 

Comments

Add a comment

You must be logged in to comment.

Letsgodigging