This event will be held in Mold in North Wales. We have 95 acres of grazed pasture and 5 acres of Turnip stubble.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS EVENT, WE ONLY HAVE SPACE FOR 40 VEHICLES TO PARK ON THE DAY SO WE CAN ONLY ACCEPT THE FIRST 40 REGISTRATIONS, ANYONE AFTER THIS THAT WANTS TO ATTEND PLEASE MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR USERNAME AND WHO YOU WILL BE CAR SHARING WITH. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
A mile west of the town is Maes Garmon, (“The Field of Germanus”), the traditional site of the “Alleluia Victory” by British forces led by Germanus of Auxerre against the invading Picts and Scots, which occurred shortly after Easter, AD 430.
Mold developed around Mold Castle. The motte and bailey were built by the Norman Robert de Montalt in around 1140 in conjunction with the military invasion of Wales by Anglo-Norman forces. The castle was besieged numerous times by the Princes of Gwynedd as they fought to retake control of the eastern cantrefi in the Perfeddwlad (English: Middle Country). In 1146, Owain Gwynedd captured the castle. By 1167, Henry II was in possession of the castle, although it was recaptured by the Welsh forces of Llywelyn the Great in 1201.
Anglo-Norman authority over the area began again in 1241 when Dafydd ap Llywelyn yielded possession of the castle to the de Montalt family. However, he recaptured it from the Plantagenet nobility in 1245. The next few decades were a period of peace; Llywelyn ap Gruffudd built the Welsh native castle of Ewloe further to the east establishing the House of Gwynedd’s military control over the area. Under Welsh rule, Mold Castle was deemed to be a “royal stronghold”. It was recaptured by the forces of Edward Iduring the first months of the war of 1276–77. Mold Castle was still a substantial fortification at the outbreak of the rebellion by Madog ap Llywelyn in 1294. However, with the death of the last Lord Montalt in 1329, the castle’s importance began to decline. The last mention of the fortification is in Patent Rolls from the early 15th century.
With the end of the Welsh Wars, English common law was introduced by the Statute of Rhuddlan. This led to an increase in commercial enterprise in the township which had been laid out around Mold Castle. Trade soon began between the Welsh community and English merchants in Chester and Whitchurch, Shropshire. During the medieval period, the town held two annual fairs and a weekly market, which brought in substantial revenues, as drovers brought their livestock to the English-Welsh border to be sold.
Nevertheless, tensions between the Welsh and the English remained. During the War of the Roses, Reinalt ab Grufydd ab Bleddyn, a Lancastrian captain who defended Harlech Castle for Henry VI against Yorkist forces, was constantly engaged in feuds with Chester. In 1465 a large number of armed men from Chester arrived at the Mold fair looking for trouble. A fight broke out which led to a pitched battle; eventually Reinalt triumphed and captured Robert Bryne, a former Mayor of Chester. The Welsh captain then took Bryne back to his tower house near Mold and hanged him. In retaliation up to 200 men-at-arms were sent from Chester to seize Reinalt. However the Welshman used his military experience to turn the tables on his attackers. He hid in the woods while many of the men entered his home; once they were inside, he rushed from concealment, blocked the door, and set fire to the building, trapping those inside. Reinalt then attacked the remainder, driving them back towards Chester.
By the late 15th century the lordships around Mold had passed to the powerful Stanley family. In 1477 records mention that Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby had appointed numerous civic officials in Mold (including a mayor), was operating several mills, and had established a courthouse in the town.
16th century onwards
In the 1530s, the Tudor antiquarian John Leland noted the weekly market had been abandoned. By now Mold had two main streets: Streate Byle (Beili) and Streate Dadlede (Dadleu-dy). About 40 houses made up the settlement. By the beginning of the 17th century, the coal industry had begun to develop in areas near the town. This led to a rise in Mold’s population. By the 1630s there were more than 120 houses and huts in the area.
The government of Elizabeth I had established royal representatives (Justices of the Peace, Sheriffs, and Lords Lieutenant) in every county of Wales. Mold developed into the administrative centre for Flintshire. By the 1760s, the Quarter Sessions were based in the town; the county hall was established in 1833, and the county gaol in 1871.
In 1833, workmen digging a Bronze Age mound at Bryn yr Ellyllon (Fairies’ or Goblins’ Hill) discovered a unique golden cape, which dates from 1900–1600 BC. The cape weighs 560 g and was produced from a single gold ingot about the size of a golf ball. It was broken when found, and the fragments were shared out among the workmen, with the largest piece going to Mr Langford, tenant of the field in which the mound stood. The find was recorded by the vicar of Mold and came to the notice of the British Museum. In 1836 Langford sold his piece to the Museum and subsequently most of the pieces were recovered, though there is a tradition that the wives of some of the workmen sported new jewellery after the find. Restored, the cape now forms one of the great treasures of the British Museum in London.
Mold hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1923, 1991 and 2007. There was an unofficial National Eisteddfod event in 1873.
The Mold Riot
In summer 1869 there was a riot in the town which had considerable effect on the subsequent policing of public disturbances in Britain.
On 17 May 1869, John Young, the English manager of the nearby colliery, angered his workers by announcing a pay cut. He had previously strained relationships with them by banning the use of the Welsh language underground. Two days later, after a meeting at the pithead, miners attacked Young before frogmarching him to the police station. Seven men were arrested and ordered to stand trial on 2 June. All were found guilty; and the convicted ringleaders, Ismael Jones and John Jones, were sentenced to a month’s hard labour.
A large crowd had assembled to hear the verdict, and the Chief Constable of Flintshire had arranged for police from all over the county and soldiers from The 4th King’s Own Regiment (Lancaster), based temporarily at Chester, to be present. As the convicts were being transported to the railway station, the crowd of 1500 to 2000 grew restive and threw missiles at the officers, injuring many of them. On the command of their commanding officer, Captain Blake, the soldiers opened fire on the crowd, killing four, including one innocent bystander, Margaret Younghusband, a 19-year-old domestic servant from Liverpool, who had been observing events from nearby high ground. The musket ball severed her femoral artery and she bled to death. The others killed included Robert Hannaby a collier from Moss, near Wrexham. He was shot in the head in the act of throwing a stone and died instantly. Edward Bellis, another collier, was shot in the abdomen. A local doctor, Dr Platt, performed surgery to remove the ball but Bellis died shortly afterwards. Elizabeth Jones, wife of Isaac Jones, living at Coed Talon, was shot in the back and died two days later from the injury.
The Coroner’s inquest on the first three deaths was held in the same week as the riot, on Saturday 5 June. The Coroner, Mr Peter Parry, was described as “exceedingly old and infirm and being so deaf as to be compelled to use a ‘speaking’ trumpet, to which affliction must be added that greater one of partial blindness.” He was assisted by the Deputy Coroner, his brother Robert Parry, surgeon, of Mold. The verdict of the Jury, following clear direction of the Coroner, and after retiring for five minutes to consider the matter, was that of justifiable homicide. Later that afternoon the Coroner held a further inquest on the death of Elizabeth Jones, who had died at 11 pm the previous night. The same verdict was reached. The following week Isaac Jones, a collier at Black Diamond, was one of a number of men tried for their involvement in the riot. He was allowed bail to attend the funeral of his wife. The other men tried were William Griffiths (medical herbalist, former collier, Mold), Rowland Jones (age 25, collier, Pontyblyddan), Gomer Jones (age 17, collier) and William Hughes (collier) At the conclusion of their trial they were found guilty of “felonious wounding” and Lord Chief Justice Bovill sentenced them all to ten years’ penal servitude.
Although he strenuously denied the connection, Daniel Owen, who lived in the town, featured some very similar events in his first novel, Rhys Lewis, which was published in instalments in 1882–84.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ALL LET’S GO DIGGING EVENTS
Please note: We expect all finds to be shown for photographing, all items considered treasure for the finder to provide identification and a contact number. Whilst it is not our responsibility to report items of treasure found on our digs, we will advise the finder to do so and expect confirmation it has been done. And finds of this nature not reported will result in the finders details being passed to the relevant authority.
The event will start at 9am after a short briefing so please arrive between 8am and 8.45am. Digging finishes at 4.30pm. Parking will be on the farm track.
There will be no catering at this event so please bring food and refreshments with you.
If you can no longer attend after registering for the event please UN REGISTER, failure to do so can result in you being blocked from all future LGD events.
Non paid members £20
Paid members with a membership card £15
Under 16s free (no need to register)
Mold Sunday 21st January - Car
CAR DRIVERS ONLY
Registration opens at 28-12-2017 18:42
Registration closes at 20-01-2018 18:00
Max Participants: 40
Mold Sunday 21st January - 4x4
4X4 DRIVERS ONLY
Registration opens at 04-01-2018 19:09
Registration closes at 10-01-2018 18:00
Max Participants: 100
Registration is currently closed.
Mold Sunday 21st January - Passengers
Registration opens at 12-01-2018 14:29
Registration closes at 20-01-2018 18:00
Max Participants: 60