The post code for this event is TF9 3LJ Oaktree Cottage we will be about 100 yards from there, look out for the LGD signs, please arrive between 7.30 and 8.45, look out for the LGD flag and admin. Safe journey
This event will be held in Kenstone, Hodnet, Market Drayton. It is 7.2 miles from Market Drayton. We have 102 acres of which 22 acres is pasture and the other 80 acres has been deep ploughed for potatoes and is now potato stubble.
- Hodnet’s name has Celtic origins derived from the Welsh hawdd meaning pleasant or peaceful and nant, a glen or valley in Old Welsh. Hodnet was recorded in the Domesday Book as Odenett.
- Evidence of a Bronze Age burial site was discovered during construction of the bypass in 2002.
- The Anglo-Saxon settlement, which had a chapel, was the centre of Odenet, a royal manor belonging to Edward the Confessor and held by Roger de Montgomery who supported William the Conqueror after 1066. Baldwin de Hodenet built the motte and baileycastle in around 1082 possibly on a moated mound from earlier times. The timber castle was rebuilt in sandstone around 1196 and burned down in 1264. Hodnet Castle was mentioned in a document of 1223. Odo de Hodnet was granted the right to hold a weekly fair and an annual market by Henry III in the mid-13th century and the village grew to the north and east of the castle by the 12th-century church.
- In 1752 the estate passed from the Vernons, who had lived there for 250 years to the Hebers whose descendants still own the property. Hodnet Old Hall was a timber-framed manor house surrounded by the park which was recorded on Christopher Saxton’s Map of Shropshire in the late 16th century. The old hall was demolished in 1870 when a new hall in the neo-Elizabethan style was built. The gardens were developed in the 1920s. In the 20th century the hall was used as a convalescent hospital during the world wars and in World War II there was an airfield in the grounds for the storage and dispersal of aircraft from Ternhill and RAF Shawbury.
- Market Drayton is a wonderfully compact town lying almost completely between the River Tern, a subsidiary of the Severn, and the A53 bypass to the north, with a core of attractive historic buildings, a wide variety of retailing and some light industry. The Shropshire Union canal runs through it from north to south. It is in a predominantly rural area in the north east of Shropshire on the border with Staffordshire; a few miles to the north is Cheshire. It has a Town Council and comes under Shropshire Council. The population is around 11,000.Drayton’s first settlers chose to raise their church on this red sandstone precipice above the River Tern around the year 950AD. It could be easily defended and had access to water and arable land all around. The ‘dray’ element of the town’s name is related to the word ‘drag’ and suggests that it was known as a place where either boats had to be dragged over an obstruction or carts dragged uphill. Whatever the origins of the name, we assume these first settlers were Saxons because but no evidence has come to light of any Roman or British (Celtic) occupation at Drayton itself.Great Drayton and Little Drayton (the western portion of the present-day town) are listed as separate ‘manors’, or estates, in the Domesday book of 1086.. The manor of Great Drayton had been awarded by Williamthe Conqueror to the Abbey of St Evroul in France who was leasing it to William Pantulph of Wem at the time of Domesday.St Mary’s Church at Great Drayton commanded a parish far in excess of the manor in which it stood. The parish lay in a still wider area called “Hales” which has led to Market Drayton sometimes being called Drayton-in-Hales.The inhabitants of the surrounding manors in St Mary’s parish would have tramped the same routes on Sundays and holy days to worship at the church, and these became known as church ways. Longslow Road is an extant example. Parishioners would have also used days of worship as an opportunity to barter goods in the shadow of the church, and from this practice we can trace Drayton’s role as a market town. In 1112 the manor of Great Drayton was given to the monks of Combermere Abbey north east of Whitchurch (Little Drayton was controlled by Shrewsbury Abbey).The monks sought to formalise Drayton’s role as a trading station and thereby assure themselves of a handsome income. Markets were the chief means of distributing goods and bringing buyers and sellers together in medieval society; the rights to hold them were a source of great wealth and jealously guarded. In 1245 Henry III granted Combermere Abbey a charter to hold a weekly market in Drayton on Wednesdays and a fair on the feast of the nativity of the Virgin Mary in September.. Drayton probably came by the epithet ‘Market’ as a publicity stunt to assert its dominance over other towns.
There is a reference to Drayton as a ‘borough’ in 1292 which usually indicated a settlement with special rights such as a degree of self governance, although there is no indication that it had “burgesses” in residence, usually the sign of a borough. The residents appear to have been of lower station, but still would have brought to the town specialist skills that would have stimulated trade. They occupied long and narrow plots fronting the main commercial streets which equate to the modern-day Cheshire Street, Queen Street, Shropshire Street and Stafford Street. Banned from the churchyard, it is assumed the traders established their marketplace in a wide street covering the area where Cheshire Street, Queen Street and High Street now are. Thus the original market street would have been easily wide enough to accommodate livestock as well as other produce.
As well as agricultural connections, Drayton has amassed a series of military connections over the ages. In 1459, the first battle in the Wars of the Roses was joined at Blore Heath (on the road to Loggerheads). The Yorkist Earl of Salisbury trounced the Lancastrian Lord Audley, who had been sent to arrest him, and destroyed his army. The hill where Salisbury camped is called Salisbury Hill. There were several skirmishes in the town during the Civil Wars of the 17th century, and Tern Hill Barracks have been here since the First World War. After the dissolution of the monasteries, the lordship of the manor was sold to Sir Rowland Hill, a London textile merchant and previous mayor of the city, who went on to found Market Drayton Grammar School in 1555, and in 1562 it passed by marriage into the Corbets of Adderley.
By the 17th century, Drayton was a prosperous town made up predominantly of half-timbered buildings, many of them with thatched roofs. Then disaster struck. In 1651 when Drayton had its own great fire. Most of the buildings were destroyed – a rare survivor from before this time is Cotton’s House on Shropshire Street, built around 1600. The town had to be rebuilt, and half-timbered buildings such as the Cheshire Cheese Inn (now Mincher-Lockett opticians) at the Buttercross became rare. Evidence of the continued prosperity of the town, however, are the many fine brick houses dating from the Stuart, Georgian and Victorian periods. A sign, too, that the market was never forgotten is the Buttercross market shelter which replaced an actual cross in 1823.
The 19th century was a period of great expansion in communications. In 1835 the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal was built past Drayton, carving one of the deepest canal cuttings in the country through red sandstone at Tyrley Locks. Later part of the Shropshire Union Canal, it has gone through a revival as a major leisure resource. Railways from Drayton to Stoke, Nantwich and Wellington were built during the 1860s. It was soon after this that the cattle market was moved from the centre of town to Maer Lane in order to be near the station. (The market is now on Adderley Road).During the second half of the 20th century the population expanded greatly. The A53 bypass has now defined a northern boundary for the town, but as development land within the parish boundary becomes ever scarcer, the development pressures to build beyond its boundaries will become intense.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ALL LET’S GO DIGGING EVENTS
Please note: We expect all finds to be shown for photographing, all items considered treasure for the finder to provide identification and a contact number. Whilst it is not our responsibility to report items of treasure found on our digs, we will advise the finder to do so and expect confirmation it has been done. And finds of this nature not reported will result in the finders details being passed to the relevant authority.
The event will start at 9am after a short briefing so please arrive between 8am and 8.45am. Digging finishes at 4.30pm. Parking will be on hard standing.
There will be no catering at this event so please bring food and refreshments with you.
If you can no longer attend after registering for the event please UN REGISTER, failure to do so can result in you being blocked from all future LGD events.
Non paid members £20
Paid members with a membership card £15
Under 16s free (no need to register)
Kenstone, Hodnet, Market Drayton Saturday 23rd December
22 Acres of pasture & 80 acres of potato stubble
Registration opens at 07-12-2017 13:59
Registration closes at 22-12-2017 18:00
Max Participants: 120
- [email protected]
Registration is currently closed.