Nuneaton rally directions for tomorrow. Please head for CV7 8FG That will take you to station road. We are 0.2 miles away from postcode where station rd meets Divetts Lane as in pic look out for admin on station rd. Safe journey to all dig starts at 9am please arrive in time for the briefing at 8.45am. Thanks.
We have a revisit booked at our Old Arley site near Nuneaton, it is 80 acres spread over 4 large fields of cultivated and rolled land.
This will be the second visit to this location, the first visit produced silver roman coins and artifacts, crotal bells, a roman broach, a jews harp, a dagger handle and hammered coins.
Old Arley is included in the Domesday Book which was compiled in 1086. In its entry there the village, which is named as Arei, has four households, 2 men’s plough teams, Woodland of 1.5 by 1 leagues. In 1066 the lord of the manor was Earl Edwin, and in 1086 the lord of the manor was Princess Christina who was also listed as the Tenant-in-chief. The parish had a taxable value of 1 geld unit per year. The village and parish was foremost a farming community and had several hamlets within its parish which combined slowly into the village of Old Arley: Gun Hill, Slowley Hill, Devitt’s Green and Ballard’s Green. The village was centered on the gothic, stone-built parish church of Saint Wilfrid.
Samuel Lewis described the village in 1848:
ARLEY (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Nuneaton…hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Coventry; containing 265 inhabitants. The parish is traversed by the road from Coventry to Tamworth, and comprises 1929a. 29p. of land, the greater portion of which is pasture and meadow; 140 acres are wood, and 20 common or waste. The soil is variable, some parts good, and some stiff clay; the surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque. lime in considerable quantities, and stone for the roads, are obtained here. The chief proprietor is Alfred Ashley Vaughton, Esq., of Fillongley Lodge. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £9. 0. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. R. Vaughton: the tithes have been commuted for £336. 8., and the glebe consists of 74 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a square tower. £20 yearly out of lands producing upwards of £200 per annum, left by William Avery, and a donation of the interest of £600 in the new three-and-a-half per cents, by John and Francis Holmes, go towards the support of a free school. A Sunday school is supported by the rector.
In 1881 the population of the village was 207 and by 1891 it had risen to 216.
In 1900 the Kelly’s Directory includes a Post Office, with a post box built into the wall, which was said to be by the church. There was also a mixed free school which had been opened in 1875 for an attendance of a capacity of sixty, but had an only an average attendance of thirty-three pupils. There was also a railway station with station master Alfred Lingdon. Kelly’s also lists a total of twenty farms, one mill and one public house, the Wagon Load of Lime. There was also one shop.
This event will start at 9am after a short briefing so please arrive between 8am and 8.45am. Parking will be on the edge of the field if it is dry, if not it will be on the grass verge on the side of the road.
There will be no catering at this event so please bring food and refreshments with you.
Old Arley Nr Nuneaton 15th October
Registration opens at 10-10-2017 14:01
Registration closes at 14-10-2017 18:30
Max Participants: 80
Registration is currently closed.