The post code for this event is PE24 5JA Marsh Lane, look out for admin and the signs.
This event will be held on 67 acres instead 100 acres of cultivated and flat land on our new 3500 acre permission due to lack of numbers on this first visit. Its located between the villages of Addlethorpe and Orby.
Orby is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as “Heresbi”, and in 1115 it was recorded as “Orreby”. However, this unusual citation does not relate to any described settlement within the parish itself, but is used instead, as a reference point to help locate lands held by the Bishop of Durham in neighbouring Addlethorpe.
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a Grade II* listed building dating from the 13th century with later alterations and additions. The chancel was rebuilt in 1888.
Manor House Farm is a Grade II listed farmhouse dating from 1660, of red brick, which replaced an earlier medieval moated manor, the site of which is an ancient scheduled monument.
Orby County Primary School was originally built in 1837 as a National School. It was rebuilt in 1874 but closed only three years later. In 1878 it was reopened as the Orby Board School, after the formation of the Orby School Board that year. The School Boards were abolished in 1903, and the school underwent name changes before becoming Orby County Primary School in 1963. It closed on 22 July 1981.
There will be hard standing for around 40 vehicles. Please arrive between 7.30am and 8.15am.
The briefing will be held at approximately 8.15am with a view to start digging at 8.30am. We will be holding the usual cash and free dig raffle. Please note there will be NO catering available at this event so please bring your own food and refreshments.