The postcode for this event is OX14 3DT
Turn off the A415 Abingdon Road onto Thame Lane.
Turn up the track for Warren Farm, Look out for the signs and admin that will be there to help direct you to parking. Thanks.
Subject to our site visit to Steventon and the discovery that the land could not be prepared in time, we have organised an alternative event on NEW land at Culham, on the river Thames.
We have 2 fields, one which is cultivated at one end and runs along the Thames itself.
As you can see from the pictures below, presently the grass is long in both but the farmer has promised these are going to be cut by 2 tractors before we arrive. This is the same Farmer that cut the grass ready for our camping event at Steventon a few weeks ago so we are confident this will be achieved. We will also be on site Thursday to ensure this has been done.
There is a scramble meeting on a track next to our field that runs along the river Thames where you would be able to watch from if you wished. So for anybody bringing wives and kids this will be a fantastic sideline for them.
We are going to try and camp you all along the river so views will be as seen in pics of the Thames (this will be confirmed on arrival).
There’s a total of 200 acres spread over 2 fields. The farmer has told us of some green waste that has been put on a 2 acre strip in the top field so this is going to remain uncut to make it easy for us all to recognize so to stay away from that area.
He has also confirmed only certain areas are affected in the bottom field by some flooding, this being a part of the big field near the riverside.
If you no longer wish to attend this event with its new location please remove your names from the register below, although i am sure that this will be just as enjoyable as the Steventon permission. We will look to rearrange as soon as it has been rolled (weather permitting).
The history in this area certainly seems very interesting:
The village was at one time important for the Thames barges carrying stone from the dissolved Abbey of Abingdon and there was wharfage here where the stone was loaded onto barges for transportation to London. The wharf and the remains of the lock can still be seen as well as the assembly pool for barges that lay near it. These were in the ditch now known as Back Water, but then known as Swift Ditch. Swift Ditch was at the time the main navigation channel until 1790 when it was abandoned in favour of the main channel through Abingdon.
The parish lies some 7 miles south of Oxford in a bend of the River Thames, which forms its chief boundary, and is of special interest on account of its importance in the Anglo-Saxon and early Norman periods. The acreage of the parish is 2,051 and its boundaries appear to have changed but little since late Saxon times when a survey of the parish was made in 940 in the time of King Edmund. The survey mentions the ford where Abingdon Bridge now stands, and refers to ‘barrows’ at some point along the parish’s eastern boundary, but no traces of these remain. The beating of the bounds of the eastern end of the parish was regularly carried out during the Middle Ages and led in 1416 to the institution of legal proceedings by the Abbot of Abingdon against Sir John Drayton of Nuneham. The abbot complained that the Vicar of Culham and his parishioners had been shot at by Sir John and his men, and further that Sir John had erected a fortalice on Culham territory and used it to prevent the vicar and parishioners from making their procession.
The Thames has always been an important means of communication for Culham though little is known with certainty about its history before the Tudor period. Until the early 11th century the arm of the river between Andersey Island and Culham was apparently the main route for transport; but the flow of water is said to have been diverted by Abingdon Abbey into the branch or branches of the river by Abingdon so that the stream ran closer to the abbey.
Culham was an important place in the AngloSaxon period and enjoyed special privileges throughout the Middle Ages. Partly because of its close connexion with Abingdon Abbey, partly because of the charm of its situation, and partly because of the excellent sport it provided, the place was especially favoured by the royal houses of Mercia and Wessex. Offa was the first to build a royal residence on Andersey Island and there his son Egfrith died in 796. The sisters of the Mercian king Coenwulf retreated to Culham to lead a holy life, and c. 1050 a church to St. Andrew was built on the island, which thus acquired its name of Andresiaor Andersey. Although a few Roman remains have been found by the river near Zouche Farm no Saxon remains have yet been found.
After the Conquest both William I and William II used to stay at the royal hunting lodge on Andersey. The Conqueror in particular delighted in the island’s green meadows and recuperated there from blood-letting, but Henry I was persuaded by Queen Maud to return the island to Abingdon and to allow the abbot to use the lead from the many houses on the island for the roof of the abbey church. It appears from the chronicler’s account that the stone buildings on the island were already in decay, but local memory of them was still strong when Leland visited Culham. He says that there was once a ‘fortres or pile lyke a castle in Andersey’ and that it lay almost exactly between the old and new courses of the Thames.
In Stephen’s reign Culham was plundered by William Boterel, Constable of Wallingford, although he had taken a bribe from Abbot Ingulf in return for a promise not to attack the abbey’s property, (
and despite the privileged position which Culham undoubtedly enjoyed, both on account of its ancient rights of sanctuary and its immunity from royal and ecclesiastical control, other than that of the abbey. This privileged position may be illustrated by the fact that a claim to exemption from taxation in 1291 was successfully vindicated, and that Culham does not appear on later medieval taxation rolls. Its rights of sanctuary seem to have derived from a wide interpretation of the charter of King Coenwulf of 821. By the late 14th century there was evidently popular opposition to these rights: in 1394 the ‘Commons’ of Essex petitioned the Crown against the abuse of sanctuary both at Culham and at Colchester, and in 1442 Pope Eugenius IV issued a mandate to the Bishop of Lincoln and others to inquire into abuses at Culham and elsewhere. In 1486 Humphrey Stafford and his brother Thomas, after an abortive attempt at insurrection against Henry VII, sought sanctuary at Culham; but Humphrey was later arrested and the claim disallowed. Despite the decision of the court in Stafford’s case men still claimed sanctuary at Culham, a case being recorded as late as 1507. (fn. 95)
In the 17th century the proximity of Culham to Abingdon and Oxford meant that the village was inevitably affected by the Civil War, for the bridge across Culham ford was of considerable strategic importance. In the spring of 1643 the royalists had an encampment on Culham Hill; but this was abandoned about 12 June when the troops were withdrawn to Oxford. After the king’s forces had left Abingdon in May 1644 the parliamentarians seized Culham Bridge, from which they harried royalist food convoys moving into Oxford. An unsuccessful royalist attempt to recapture and demolish the bridge in January 1645 led to a sharp engagement known as the battle of Culham Bridge, in which the king’s commander, Sir Henry Gage, was mortally wounded.
Pictures of the land PRIOR TO GRASS CUTTING!
FULL CATERING AVAILABLE FOR THE WEEKEND!!!
The event will be Saturday and Sunday 8.30am until 5pm. For anyone travelling long distance we can allow you to arrive on Friday, but you must arrive between 3pm and 8pm.
There will be toilets on this event, there will be onsite hot food and refreshments on sale throughout the day. We will be holding a raffle with a top prize of a Deus, tickets will be available all weekend and the draw will be at 1pm on Sunday. Pete and Ashley from Leisure Promotions will be on site.
Caravans, tents and mobile homes welcome. Dogs are welcome but MUST be kept on a lead at all times.
If registering for camping please DO NOT register on the single day registers and the same applies to people only attending the day events please DO NOT register on the camping register as this will help us to give our farmer more accurate numbers.
£50 per person for the weekend or
£20 per day for non members
£15 per day for members
All non detectorist’s and children under 14 are FREE and there is no need to register them.
Steventon 7th & 8th October 2017 Camping Only
Registration opens at 05-09-2017 18:30
Registration closes at 05-10-2017 17:30
Max Participants: 100
Registration is currently closed.
Steventon Saturday 7th October 2017
Registration opens at 05-09-2017 18:31
Registration closes at 05-10-2017 17:30
Max Participants: 80
Registration is currently closed.